Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On 10/4/21 23:08, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
n all sincerity: Chill out. I don't think that this is worth getting
into an argument over. I think that there is a good chance that you'd
have had a much better experience if the conversation had been in
person. Text has a way of losing a lot of important nuance.

I have personally met and enjoyed talking to quite a few people that
personally worked on Oracle, in various capacities -- the world of
database internals experts is not huge. I find Tanel Poder very
interesting, too -- never met the man, but we follow each other on
Twitter. Oracle is a system that has some interesting properties in
general (not just as a counterpoint to PostgreSQL), and I definitely
respect it. Same with SQL Server.

There are lots of smart and accomplished people in the world,
including Jeff. I think that it's worth understanding these
differences in perspective. There is likely to be merit in all of the
specific points made by both Laurenze and Jeff. They may not be
irreconcilable, or anything like it.

What angered me was the presumptuous tone of voice directed to an Oracle legend. I have probably talked to many more Oracle people than you, including Tanel, whom I have met personally. I am not on Twitter, unfortunately I am older than 20. Before you ask, I am not on Instagram, Facebook or Tiktok. I am not on OnlyFans either. I have never understood the need to share one's every thought in real time. Being rather private person has probably stymied my career of an internet influencer. I'll never rival Kim Kardashian.

As for Jeff Holt, I believe that a person of his stature needs to be taken seriously and not lectured "how are things done in Postgres community". I  am rather confused by the thinly veiled hostility toward Oracle. In my opinion, Postgres community should be rather welcoming to Oracle people like Frits Hoogland, Frank Pachot or Jeff Holt. After all, we are using Postgres and telling us "you can't have what you used to get from Oracle" is not either encouraging or smart. If you want consulting jobs in big banks and for a decent money, you might just take Oracle people seriously. Have you ever wondered why Oracle has so many customers despite the fact that it's so freakishly expensive?

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant