Re: Better, consistent instrumentation for postgreSQL using a similar API as Oracle

On 10/4/21 22:25, Michaeldba@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Mladen,

Shame on u lecturing a top notch guy in the PostgreSQL world, Laurenz Albe. I think Laurenz knows “a little bit” about Oracle having written the popular extension, fdw_oracle, among his many other contributions to the PG world. So ironic that Laurenz was just named “PostgReSQL person of the week”, and then has to be subjected to this “tirade” of yours!

Follow the PG protocol in submitting your change requests to core PG and stop your Bitchin!

Michael Vitale

First, a matter of format: please don't top-post. Replies go under the original posts. That's an unwritten rule, but a very time honored one. Second, I know very well who Laurenz Albe is. We have met on the oracle-l few decades ago. Third, I think that my reproach to Laurenz's tone is very justified.  You don't say "the argument that Python has it is not good enough" to Dennis Ritchie. Hopefully, you get my analogy, but one cannot ever be sure.

Last, I didn't request any new features from the Postgres community. That's a mistake that I'll never commit again. Last time I tried, this has happened:

https://www.toolbox.com/tech/data-management/blogs/why-postgresql-doesnt-have-query-hints-020411/

I still keep it in my bookmark folder, under "Humor". I used that article several times on the oracle-l as an illustration some properties of Postgres community. That article was a gift and I am sincerely grateful. Of course, PostgreSQL now has query hints.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant