Re: pgbench results on a new server

Craig James wrote:
I've got a new server and want to make sure it's running well.

Any changes to the postgresql.conf file? Generally you need at least a moderate shared_buffers (1GB or so at a minimum) and checkpoint_segments (32 or higher) in order for the standard pgbench test to give good results.

pgbench -c20 -t 5000 -U test
tps = 5789
pgbench -c30 -t 3333 -U test
tps = 6961
pgbench -c40 -t 2500 -U test
tps = 2945

General numbers are OK, the major drop going from 30 to 40 clients is larger than it should be. I'd suggest running the 40 client count one again to see if that's consistent. If it is, that may just be pgbench itself running into a problem. It doesn't handle high client counts very well unless you use the 9.0 version that supports multiple pgbench workers with the "-j" option.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us