Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load

On 4/7/10 5:47 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM, David Rees<drees76@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
max_fsm_pages = 16000000
max_fsm_relations = 625000
synchronous_commit = off

You are playing with fire here.  You should never turn this off unless
you do not care if your data becomes irrecoverably corrupted.

That is not correct.  Turning off synchronous_commit is sensible if
you don't mind losing the last few transactions on a crash.  What will
corrupt your database is if you turn off fsync.

A bit off the original topic, but ...

I set it this way because I was advised that with a battery-backed RAID controller, this was a safe setting.  Is that not the case?

Craig