Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load

On 6/25/10 7:47 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Craig James<craig_james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
On 6/24/10 9:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
sinval queue overflow comes to mind ... although that really shouldn't
happen if there's "no real load" on the server.  What PG version is
this?

8.3.10.  Upgraded based on your advice when I first asked this question.

Any chance of going to 8.4?  If this is what I suspect, you really need
this 8.4 fix:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-06/msg00227.php
which eliminated the thundering-herd behavior that previous releases
exhibit when the sinval queue overflows.

Yes, there is a chance of upgrading to 8.4.4.  I just bought a new server and it has 8.4.4 on it, but it won't be online for a while so I can't compare yet.  This may motivate me to upgrade the current servers to 8.4.4 too.  I was pleased to see that 8.4 has a new upgrade-in-place feature that means we don't have to dump/restore.  That really helps a lot.

A question about 8.4.4: I've been having problems with bloat.  I thought I'd adjusted the FSM parameters correctly based on advice I got here, but apparently not.  8.4.4 has removed the configurable FSM parameters completely, which is very cool.  But ... if I upgrade a bloated database using the upgrade-in-place feature, will 8.4.4 recover the bloat and return it to the OS, or do I still have to recover the space manually (like vacuum-full/reindex, or cluster, or copy/drop a table)?

Or you could look at using connection pooling so you don't have quite
so many backends ...

I always just assumed that lots of backends that would be harmless if each one was doing very little.  If I understand your explanation, it sounds like that's not entirely true in pre-8.4.4 releases due to the sinval queue problems.

Thanks,
Craig