Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load

Craig James wrote:
if I upgrade a bloated database using the upgrade-in-place feature, will 8.4.4 recover the bloat and return it to the OS, or do I still have to recover the space manually (like vacuum-full/reindex, or cluster, or copy/drop a table)?

There's no way for an upgrade in place to do anything about bloat. The changes in 8.4 reduce the potential sources for new bloat (like running out of a FSM pages), and the overhead of running VACUUM drops some due to things like the "Partial VACUUM" changes. But existing bloated tables and indexes are moved forward to the new version without any change.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   www.2ndQuadrant.us