Re: Occasional giant spikes in CPU load

On 6/24/10 9:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Craig James<craig_james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
So what is it that will cause every single Postgres backend to come to life at the same moment, when there's no real load on the server?  Maybe if a backend crashes?  Some other problem?

sinval queue overflow comes to mind ... although that really shouldn't
happen if there's "no real load" on the server.  What PG version is
this?

8.3.10.  Upgraded based on your advice when I first asked this question.

  Also, the pg_stat_activity view contents when this happens would
probably be more useful to look at than "top" output.

I'll try.  It's hard to discover anything because the whole machine is overwhelmed when this happens.  The only way I got the top(1) output was by running it high priority as root using nice(1).  I can't do that with a Postgres backend, but I'll see what I can do.

Craig