pam_krb5 + SFU 2.0+ Windows 2000

Hi,

I'd like to raise some questions that are specifically relevant to this
list,
but at the risk of appearing off topic, I'm going to mention some larger
interoperability issues that arise naturally in the course of implementing
unified user authentication and administration across operating systems.

First, does anyone on the list have experience using pam_krb5 and
Services for UNIX (SFU) 2.0 for windows 2000?

Here's my setup:

I have a test setup with a domain controller for Windows 2000, which will
function as my kerberos KDC. I also have another W2K server acting as my DNS
for that domain. I also have two Redhat LINUX 7.1 clusters (the number of
nodes on each is irrelevant), each with a file server. One of the file
servers runs NIS. The W2K domain controller has SFU 2.0 installed and
configured as a client of the cluster NIS domain.

SFU 2.0 has extended active directory on the W2k domain controller. Since
the domain comtroller is a member of the cluster NIS domain, it has access
to the NIS maps, so that one can assign a UNIX UID/GID pair to a user
defined in the NIS passwd map, and automatically translate that pair to a
W2K SID for that user. One can also NFS export the user's share, among other
things.

What I'd like is to avoid SFU's password synchronization mechanism, which
can't work wth MD5 passwords, and use pam_krb5 to authenticate users
instead. Ultimately, I'd like to move the NIS server for the cluster domain
to SFU's NIS server on the W2K domain controller, in the hope that I could
maintain all accounts in W2K in active directory. With the NIS master on one
of the cluster file servers, I have to create parallel entries for each user
in the NIS maps, and program the UID/GID pairs identically in active
directory.

The next issue isn't for the pam list per se, but it arises immediately once
I get pam_krb5 working with W2k.

Even assuming that once the NIS server is migrated to the domain controller,
so that I'll never have to update another NIS map from LINUX whenever I add
a new user (from now on this is done only in W2k and never under LINUX,
except fpor local accounts) and that krb5 authentication is working in lieu
of password synchronization, there are still questions one has about account
creation. What about default configuration files? Under RH LINUX, the user
account creation utilities copy default configuration files from /etc/skel,
but it's not clear whether SFU handles configuration files at all, if the
administration of user accounts are now being handled under active
directory. I'm curious to know how others have approached this question,
even in other situations...

Regards,
Florian Lengyel
CUNY Graduate Center