Re: pam_krb5 + SFU 2.0+ Windows 2000

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing.

Are you trying to slave AD to an existing NIS domain?

Or are you trying to have AD support NIS with data from AD?

I would choose the latter approach, if SFU gives you a choice at all.

Now, as for pam_krb5, yes, there are a number of versions available, and
at least one reportedly works fine with AD as the KDC.

And the password synchronization issue is easy to deal with: just use
Kerberos for password validation and forgo NIS (i.e., install PAM_KRB5
on all your *nix hosts, upgrade all your Windows systems to 2000 or
XP, when it comes out). Then there's no password sync issue.

As for home directory skeleta for account creation, I'm afraid you'll
have to script that as a task to be done *after* creating the user
account in AD. You can actually automate such tasks as there is an API
for listening to all replication and local transaction updates on an AD
controller, but that's probably a tall order and I doubt many AD users
have gone or would go that far.

Also, I recommend you look into using nss_ldap on the *nix side so as to
replace NIS with LDAP. Yes, LDAP is yucky, but NIS is worse. This might
be worth doing even if you were not using AD as NIS is not secure (I
suppose someone could work RPCSEC_GSS support into some NIS
implementation, but I doubt anyone ever will -- NIS is legacy).

I wonder if there's a HOW-TO anywhere for mixing *nix, nss_ldap, cyrus
sasl, OpenLDAP (or whatever client-side libraries) and ActiveDirectory,
and get it all to work.

Cheers,

Nico