PAM behavior question

I'd like to set up a set of pam modules that will handle the
authentication
to a particular linux machine. What I'd like is behavior like that of
solaris
which I am told will do what I need. The idea is to use optional modules
and accept the first one that works in order. With solaris, apparently via

a bug (or maybe it's the other way around), if none of the optional
modules are successful, auth will fail. If I try this under Linux, and I
enter
a bad password, or none at all, the optional nature of the auth line lets
you
drop right into a shell, ouch. Basically I want 'required' behavior with
'optional' symantics.

Is this possible?

Which is the "correct" version? PAM for Solaris or PAM for Linux?

--
Corey Kovacs               "I know not with what weapons World War III
Computer Science Dept.      will be fought, but World War IV will be