Can only login a root

Hi folks,

since two weeks I have a big problem with telnet authentication.

If I try to login as a normal user via telnet, I get the mess login
incorrect.
But login as ftp is OK.
So I changed the login config therwise that I set

auth    required        pam_securetty.so
#auth      required     /lib/security/pam_group.so
#auth      required     /lib/security/pam_mail.so
#account   required     /lib/security/pam_time.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow md5 nullok
use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
#session   required     /lib/security/pam_lastlog.so
auth    optional        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so       nullok shadow
auth    optional        /lib/security/pam_nologin.so

So I can login with any all accounts with dummy-passwords and then change to
root.
but when I change to root then I neet the correct password.

What I'm making wrong?

Regards from Austria

Roland Reichmann