letting ordinary users start kppp

Hello list.  .  .

I'm trying to set up pam so it will allows ordinary users to start kppp.  I
believe I have the permissions on /sbin/kppp set up properly, but the first
time I start pam in a particular X session I have to start it out of an xterm
as root.  After that I can start if from the menu (which goes through
consolehelper and userhelper--I changed the user in
/etc/security/console.apps/kpp to <user>), but I do get a prompt fer the
user's password.  In fact I get that prompt the first time I try to start
kpp from the menu in an X session, but it doesn't work unless I have
previously started the thing from a root xterm.  Here is my /etc/pam.d/kppp file:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient	/lib/security/pam_rootok.so
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    optional	/lib/security/pam_permit.so
account    required	/lib/security/pam_permit.so

I had been using /lib/security/xauth.so for the optional session check, but
changed it tonight to see what effect that would have.  What I really want is
for users to be able to just click on kppp from the kde or gnome menus and
start the %$^$% thing!  After all I don't want to give guest users root
access!  Could I be missing some other permissions somewhere?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bill