RH7 PAM screw up thanks to little ole

Ugh.  I really screwed the pooch.  I was almost done setting up a box
for a new web
server and I installed a new PAM (pam-0.74- something.tar.gz) from
source over top of
the one that comes with the RH7 disks (pam-0.72-26.i386.rpm) and I
can't log into the
machine anymore.  I login and then it just sends me back to the login
screen again (if I
don't enter my user name or password correctly it tells me login
incorrect, just like it
should).

I feel like a big idiot, I knew that RH came with PAM, but I couldn't
seem to find it and I
wanted it for openssh, so I downloaded the latest and proceeded to
corrupt things...

The computer is at my house and I can boot to runlevel 1 and edit
files, etc., so I'm able to
make changes.  I just don't know how to fix the problem.  I wish I
had just run "rpm -q
pam" in the first place!

Any suggestions?

Walter