Re: RH7 PAM screw up thanks to little ole

Hi Walter,

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Walter McGinnis wrote:

> Ugh.  I really screwed the pooch.  I was almost done setting up a box
> for a new web
> server and I installed a new PAM (pam-0.74- something.tar.gz) from
> source over top of
> the one that comes with the RH7 disks (pam-0.72-26.i386.rpm) and I
> can't log into the
> machine anymore.  I login and then it just sends me back to the login
> screen again (if I
> don't enter my user name or password correctly it tells me login
> incorrect, just like it
> should).

> The computer is at my house and I can boot to runlevel 1 and edit
> files, etc., so I'm able to
> make changes.  I just don't know how to fix the problem.  I wish I
> had just run "rpm -q
> pam" in the first place!

Offhand, I can tell you one issue of possible concern is that RedHat's pam
package includes a number of modules not included in the upstream Linux-PAM
tarball.  It's possible that one of these modules is referenced and somehow
broken post-upgrade.

Beyond guesses such as this one, it's difficult to make a diagnosis without
seeing some logfiles.

Your best bet may well be to grab a copy of RedHat's pam rpm and reinstall it.
That will at least let you return your system to a 'known good' state.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer