Re: RH7 PAM screw up thanks to little ole

> I feel like a big idiot, I knew that RH came with PAM, but I couldn't
> seem to find it and I
> wanted it for openssh,

PAM doesn't work with OpenSSH. At least not for version 1, 2 does work,
but they have plans to port the *BSD authentication system (FreeBSD I
believe it was)

> so I downloaded the latest and proceeded to
> corrupt things...
>
> The computer is at my house and I can boot to runlevel 1 and edit
> files, etc., so I'm able to
> make changes.  I just don't know how to fix the problem.  I wish I
> had just run "rpm -q
> pam" in the first place!

If it 'just' returns to the prompt, it will probably log what was going
wrong. If it doesn't, a module segfaults along the way.

> Any suggestions?

Try minimizing the PAM config, so it will just log you in, and expand bit
by bit. That will allow you to pinpoint the faulty module (assumed there
is one).

> Walter

	Igmar