Newbie question regarding passwd info..

On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 09:57, Steve Fulton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I've been researching the use of PAM, and in all documentation I've
> found on this list and thru Google, I haven't had an answer to this one
> question:  When a user authenticates via /etc/passwd, various information
> about their group, shell, home directory is also accessed.  Does PAM pass
> this info?  If so, how?  If not, how would the application (ie. ssh) get
> the home directory info (for example)?

The group is set by pam_set_credentials(), one of the authorisation
functions that the application calls.
(note: the function name is from memory, and may be not-quite-right.)

Information about the shell and the home directory may or may not be
part of the account or session modules of pam_unix. If not, the
application probably accesses /etc/passwd after authentication.

Jenn V.

jenn@anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/