Newbie question regarding passwd info..

Hi all,

   I've been researching the use of PAM, and in all documentation I've
found on this list and thru Google, I haven't had an answer to this one
question:  When a user authenticates via /etc/passwd, various information
about their group, shell, home directory is also accessed.  Does PAM pass
this info?  If so, how?  If not, how would the application (ie. ssh) get
the home directory info (for example)?

   Thanks,

	-- Steve.