Newbie pam question

--=====================_413753946==_.ALT

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have a strange thing happening on a Redhat 6.1 box.

For 3 years now, it has been running almost flawlessly as the Samba Print
Server for our educational facility.  However, when I routinely changed the
root password(By logging in remotely, as root, through SSH, from another
RH6.1 box and using the command "passwd".) I get the following results:

I typed passwd
It asked me to enter the new unix password, and I did.
It asked me to retype the password, and I did.
Then I received a message similar to "All authentication token rings
updated successfully"

I closed the ssh connection, tried to reconnect as root, and got the
message "invalid password"
I then tried to login as root on the actual RH6.1 box and got the message
"invalid password".

So, I rebooted into single user mode and typed "passwd".  Entered a
different password, verified it, and received the message, "All
authentication token rings updated successfully".  Rebooted to X and tried
to login as root.  You guessed it ... "Invalid Password".

Has anyone experienced anything like this?  Could my PAM be corrupt?  Could
password shadowing cause any complications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

==============
Kevin P. Reaver

--=====================_413753946==_.ALT

Ladies &amp; Gentlemen,<br>
I have a strange thing happening on a Redhat 6.1 box.&nbsp; <br>
For 3 years now, it has been running almost flawlessly as the Samba Print
Server for our educational facility.&nbsp; However, when I routinely
changed the root password(By logging in remotely, as root, through SSH,
from another RH6.1 box and using the command &quot;passwd&quot;.) I get
the following results:<br>
I typed passwd<br>
It asked me to enter the new unix password, and I did.&nbsp; <br>
It asked me to retype the password, and I did.&nbsp; <br>
Then I received a message similar to &quot;All authentication token rings
updated successfully&quot;<br>
I closed the ssh connection, tried to reconnect as root, and got the
message &quot;invalid password&quot;<br>
I then tried to login as root on the actual RH6.1 box and got the message
&quot;invalid password&quot;.<br>
So, I rebooted into single user mode and typed &quot;passwd&quot;.&nbsp;
Entered a different password, verified it, and received the message,
&quot;All authentication token rings updated successfully&quot;.&nbsp;
Rebooted to X and tried to login as root.&nbsp; You guessed it ...
&quot;Invalid Password&quot;.<br>
Has anyone experienced anything like this?&nbsp; Could my PAM be
corrupt?&nbsp; Could password shadowing cause any complications? <br>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>