Re: [NNTPCACHE] User login and group restrictions

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:

> I want to do two things to my nntpcache that should be bleedingly
> obvious but I seem to be missing it.
>
> I'd like to allow public reading and posting to a select few newsgroups,
> and allow full posting to my users who are outside my network with a
> login.  How do I get nntpcache to check against the system login
> information (I use shadow password) and how can I restrict newsgroups?

Use PAM authentication, assuming you're on a suitable platform, for
example:
* de.* read,post,auth=user/pass;pam

> I couldn't figure out how to get login checking going at all.

Try PAM.. That works with shadow and various strange auth schemes,
while keeping relatively secure. Unless you're giving nntpcache root
access or equivalent to read the shadow file, it's not going to cut the
mustard.

Peter.