[NNTPCACHE] User login and group restrictions

I want to do two things to my nntpcache that should be bleedingly
obvious but I seem to be missing it.

I'd like to allow public reading and posting to a select few newsgroups,
and allow full posting to my users who are outside my network with a
login.  How do I get nntpcache to check against the system login
information (I use shadow password) and how can I restrict newsgroups?

If I just do *	*fur*	read,post , it disconnects remote users saying
they're not allowed to use the server.  If I replace *fur* with just a
*, it works.  WTF?

I couldn't figure out how to get login checking going at all.

--
Baloo