Re: NNTPC: NNTPC 88.2UL

Luke Bowker said:

> > Well, I've tried 88.2 and trn still doesn't like it. The newgroup
> > command returns an error (syslog logs it as a 'crazy flow error').
> > In nntpcache.c:667 there is an '#ifdef 0' around the processing of
> > the newnews, newgroups, and xgtitle commands. This causes these to
> > fall through to the 'default' in the case statement which gives the
> > error message to the reader and to syslog. As a quick hack I took
> > out the ifdef and did a 'emitrn(".")' for that case. Trn now just
> > warns about being unable to get the groups but continues. If I knew
> > what the correct response was for no new groups I would use that
> > instead.
>
> I have written some code to do a proper multi-server newgroups command,
> and it appears to work. It will be in the next release.

If you only have a single server you can remove the newgroups command from
the case, and let it fall through as it did in the earlier releases.

> >    Would it be possible to change the connection logging to include
> > the IP address as well as the hostname, such as:
> >    'connect from user@host.do.main(123.45.67.88)'

> Shouldn't be a problem. I'll add it in.

I'd like that as well, this is one thing that I've wondered about. I'm just
experimenting with nntpcache (I don't think it is robust enought yet to let
the >1000 students loose on it), but I've seen quite a few of these refused
blank connect from messages, I'd like to know who is poking the server...
(and why).

--
Jon. <jon@gte.esi.us.es, http://www.esi.us.es/~jon>