Re: nntpcache - further questions

> I saw no response to my first query - I hope this is the correct address
> for email.

> I am investigating my problem further, and I now see that the HEAD (and
> probably BODY and ARTICLE) commands insist on an argument. The NEXT feature
> is not supported (but it is passed through).

Oh dear, missed that one. Will fix it asap. Thankyou.

> I still find that many client commands do not show at the server (nntpcached)
> input. I wonder if the socket is being read elsewhere (I trap it at the get()
> in sockets.c, but post.c was bypassing it for some reason).

Proff has rewritten sockets.c from scratch at least once. I wouldn't be surprised
if we missed transforming some of the rest of the code over to using his new
routines.

> OK, now before I spend more time on this, what is the official status of
> this program? Early development or is it supposed to be in stable shape
> now? It sounds like a great idea but I only have that much time to get
> it going and it will be wasted time if it is known to be missing important
> features. The CHANGES file only goes back one week so I have no idea how
> long it was in stable use by now.

It's thoroughly beta. It's been in use at suburbia.net in one form or another
for about 6 months now, but it's been redesigned considerably over the last
few months, adding in all sorts of extra functionality, and with it, the
inevitable bugs. We've pretty much added in all the features we wanted to,
so it's mostly going to be bug fixes from now on. It'll be a few releases
before we can declare a production version though.

> I wonder if the fact that it works with XOVER means that is actually
> needs it (DNEWS, my newsfeed, does not seem to support it).

It was designed with XOVER's in mind, since most of the servers nowadays
seem to support it. If there's demand we can add in some code to send a
series of XHDR commands if the server(s) don't support XOVER, although
that would involve quite an efficency hit I imagine.

How many servers are still in use that don't support XOVER? There can't be
that many surely?

--
Luke Bowker, puke@suburbia.net, puke@deakin.edu.au
Suburbia Public Access Network Site Sysadmin

"Don't try to understand. Knowing you, I'm probably wrong" - D. Mustaine