Re: NNTPC: NNTPC : Multiple servers for redundancy?

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 proff@suburbia.net wrote:

> The different article id's is unfortunately a problem that can't
> be resolved. Infact nntpcache goes to quite some lengths to avoid

Do the article numbers in the groups have to be exactly sequential?  I
mean, how exactly is the reader using those to know that an article's
already been read?  Is it just, "I've read up to article 77594?"  Or, does
it actually store a list of read articles.

If they don't need to be sequential, couldn't you hash up a *new* article
number based on the message-id or epoch timestamp of posting?  Just
perusing RFC977, it seems that a reader can select an article based on
number, or message-id.  Is the message-id just a fall back, or a
worthwhile approch?

> to the same group from different servers.  Theoretically you could
> run two news servers on the same news-spool via mirroring or nfs. Code

Right, but eventually, you expand beyond the limits of a single NFS
server, not to mention that you have a *big* single point of failure
there.

> You could also [without modification] just use a round-robin-dns entry
> for the two servers.

Right, but again, they would have to be completely in sync.  Maybe using
INN slaves is the right way to go.  Maybe I ask too much.  :)