Re: NNTPC: NNTPC : Multiple servers for redundancy?

> I've been looking at using NNTPCache.  My original attraction to it was
> the thought of configuring it to use several servers at once to gather
> articles from.
>
> I was thinking that if one was down, it might go on to the next one.  Is
> this possible?  I have it running now against one of our news servers, but
> I would like to try connecting it to *all* of them, and getting it to use
> whichever one was available.  I'm not thinking of using it for load
> balancing as much as for redundancy, though.
>
> Other than different servers having different article id's, what
> limitations would prevent NNTPCache from doing this (if it doesn't)?

The different article id's is unfortunately a problem that can't
be resolved. Infact nntpcache goes to quite some lengths to avoid
article ID collisions even in the normal case i.e for crossposts
to the same group from different servers.  Theoretically you could
run two news servers on the same news-spool via mirroring or nfs. Code
changes to nntpcache to support such a configuration would be trivial.
You could also [without modification] just use a round-robin-dns entry
for the two servers.

Cheers,
Julian.