Re: NNTPC: NNTPC : Multiple servers for redundancy?

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 proff@suburbia.net wrote:
>
> > The different article id's is unfortunately a problem that can't
> > be resolved. Infact nntpcache goes to quite some lengths to avoid
>
> Do the article numbers in the groups have to be exactly sequential?  I
> mean, how exactly is the reader using those to know that an article's
> already been read?  Is it just, "I've read up to article 77594?"  Or, does
> it actually store a list of read articles.

One of the benefits of nntpcache is that "drop in" i.e it goes to great
lengths to preserve the original article humbers. Article numbers
increase sequentially and independently for each server. You could
take a mod 128 approach (i.e for a max of 128 servers), but news readers
calculate high-water marks based ont he absolute value of the article
numbers.

Cheers,
Julian.