Re: NNTPC: Wish list

> This may be a bit off-topic, so bear with me.
>
> nntpcache sounds like a good solution for many users, but (I guess)
> assumes live access to the Internet to work correctly.

Quite correct.

> There are many of us who have dial-in accounts to a local ISP and thus
> reading news from the ISP's newsserver can be costly (due to telephone
> charges) and inconvenient because the link is not always available.
>
> I currently use a few scripts to do a daily "suck" on the ISP's
> newsserver, posting a *small* group (900 articles/20 groups) of specific
> newsgroups to my local INN server.  These scripts (or the ones I use at
> least) have limited functionality and quite easily can lose articles.
>
> The functionality is similar to nntpcache, with the exception of a
> connection to remote servers being at specific times.  Could nntpcache be
> setup to retrieve requested groups and/or send new articles at specific
> times (ie when the ip link is up) thus simplifying the process of
> following specific groups?
>
> I would be interested in knowing if this would require trivial changes
> as I think there could be a lot of interest from many small users.

It's quite non-trivial. What you're asking for is an offline reader, and
there are many of these already available for a variety of different
platforms. Quite beyond the call of nntpcache.

--
Luke Bowker, puke@suburbia.net, puke@deakin.edu.au
Suburbia Public Access Network Site Sysadmin

"Don't try to understand. Knowing you, I'm probably wrong" - D. Mustaine