Re: NNTPC: Wish list

> Would it be possible to add a feature similar to MOTD that pops up on a
> users screen when they login to the server?  Similar to "No Permission to
> Talk" but informational instead of error?

As far as I understand the relevant RFCs, the server is allowed to return
only one line as the welcome message when it connects, whether or not you
want something informational in that line depends on how much information
you're planning on putting there.

The tin extensions to NNRPD implement a 'xmotd' command that can return
longer messages, but as far as I know tin is the only client that will
display them.

So it all depends on what sort of information you would like to see.

--
Luke Bowker, puke@suburbia.net, puke@deakin.edu.au
Suburbia Public Access Network Site Sysadmin

"Don't try to understand. Knowing you, I'm probably wrong" - D. Mustaine