Re: NNTPC: Wish list

This may be a bit off-topic, so bear with me.

nntpcache sounds like a good solution for many users, but (I guess)
assumes live access to the Internet to work correctly.

There are many of us who have dial-in accounts to a local ISP and thus
reading news from the ISP's newsserver can be costly (due to telephone
charges) and inconvenient because the link is not always available.

I currently use a few scripts to do a daily "suck" on the ISP's
newsserver, posting a *small* group (900 articles/20 groups) of specific
newsgroups to my local INN server.  These scripts (or the ones I use at
least) have limited functionality and quite easily can lose articles.

The functionality is similar to nntpcache, with the exception of a
connection to remote servers being at specific times.  Could nntpcache be
setup to retrieve requested groups and/or send new articles at specific
times (ie when the ip link is up) thus simplifying the process of
following specific groups?

I would be interested in knowing if this would require trivial changes
as I think there could be a lot of interest from many small users.

Appreciate any comments,

regards,

Simon J Mudd
Madrid, SPAIN