Re: NNTPC: Wish list

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@bitmailer.net> wrote:
> Could nntpcache be
> setup to retrieve requested groups and/or send new articles at specific
> times (ie when the ip link is up) thus simplifying the process of
> following specific groups?

After my exams conclude next week, I plan to continue work on a script
which will "pre-fill" the nntpcached cache.

My link to the world is slow (14.4), but it's often idle, and I hope to
take advantage of these quiescent periods by pre-fetching the HEAD/BODY,
XOVER, etc. information for articles/groups that are likely to be read.

I'm planning to make a slight modification to nntpcached to record all
"group XXXXX" commands -- this way I can track which groups are being read.

To satisfy your needs, nntpcache would have to know when it should retrieve
articles from off-site, and when it should only consult its cache.  Perhaps
playing with the /etc/nntpcache.servers entries would suffice?

-- Adam