Re: NNTPC: Wish list

Adam Tilghman said:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@bitmailer.net> wrote:
> > Could nntpcache be
> > setup to retrieve requested groups and/or send new articles at specific
> > times (ie when the ip link is up) thus simplifying the process of
> > following specific groups?
>
> After my exams conclude next week, I plan to continue work on a script
> which will "pre-fill" the nntpcached cache.
>
> My link to the world is slow (14.4), but it's often idle, and I hope to
> take advantage of these quiescent periods by pre-fetching the HEAD/BODY,
> XOVER, etc. information for articles/groups that are likely to be read.
>
> I'm planning to make a slight modification to nntpcached to record all
> "group XXXXX" commands -- this way I can track which groups are being read.
>
> To satisfy your needs, nntpcache would have to know when it should retrieve
> articles from off-site, and when it should only consult its cache.  Perhaps
> playing with the /etc/nntpcache.servers entries would suffice?

There are already atleast two programs that you can use to do this one is
suck, which can spool the required news groups to /dev/null, the other is
dumpnews, which is a perl script so easily modified to not save the news and
just fill the cache.

Unfortunalty niether work with nntpcache.

suck uses
xhrd Message-id min-

to get all the message ids of the message required. nntpcache currently
returns an empty list :-( (my test on a linux box to an inn server).
dumpnews also fails, but I havent been able to see why, I think it is just
a timing thing, as using telnet to nntpcache seems to work.

--
Jon. <jon@gte.esi.us.es, http://www.esi.us.es/~jon>