Re: NNTPC: Wish list

Julian Assange said:

> > suck uses
> > xhrd Message-id min-
>
> Ugh. This will be a problem for the current caching scheme, which doesn't
> record a cache high article number. Another TODO I guess ;)
>
> Suck actually puts very high loads on new servers, becuase of the way
> it uses Message ID's. Not many news admins like it.
>
> > dumpnews also fails, but I havent been able to see why, I think it is just
> > a timing thing, as using telnet to nntpcache seems to work.
>
> Can you tell me the commands dumpnews uses?

Sorry can't spell, it's really newsdump not dumpnews...

newsdump basically does:

LISTGROUP group
to get the article numbers, then

ARTICLE art_no

 to get each article. Nothing strange, and both would seem to
work fine. I think that it is either confused by the header that ARTICLE
produces (extra blank line?). Or it might be a timing thing as newscache seems
a little irregular/slow when sending an article that isn't in cache.

You can get both suck and newsdump from sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/Incoming

--
Jon. <jon@gte.esi.us.es, http://www.esi.us.es/~jon>