NNTPCACHE on SVR4.0 system anyone?

Hi everyone,

I successfully compiled nntpcache 0.92.8UL on an Olivetti UNIX SVR4.0 system
after some minor modifications to add in ";" or "break" in case statements.
I don't think any of those changes affect the logic of the code.
However when I try to run nntpcached it doesn't work.  I've defined two
news servers, one our internal and the other our ISP's.  Running it as a
daemon in the background results in two nntpcached processes, and I can
see there are two sockets open to each server.  After some time one of
the processes disappears.  If I telnet to the nntp port I can connect,
but I never get anything back.

If I run nntpcache as a foreground process, I again have two nntpcached
processes running and after a while one disappears.  But in this case
after the 2nd process has disappeared I can telnet to the nntp port and
actually get articles from both servers.  However the caching does not
seem to work.  I see the following files in my cache directory:

-rw-r--r--   1 news     news           0 Sep 26 18:19 cache.history
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news          61 Sep 26 18:19 cache.history.dir
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news           0 Sep 26 18:19 cache.history.pag
drwxr-xr-x   5 news     news          96 Sep 26 18:42 news.hk.olivetti.com./
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news         392 Oct  1 17:37 nntpcache.stats
drwxr-xr-x   3 news     news          96 Sep 26 18:57 oligate.hk.olivetti.com./

There is no cache.mmap file, and under the group directories all I see are
xover files.  Things worked the same when I had only one server defined.
I tried creating an empty cache.mmap file, but that didn't make any
difference.

Does anyone else have any experience running nntpcache on an SVR4 system
who might know what's wrong?  I don't really have the time to investigate
this myself right now.

Thanks for any info.,

Raju