Re: NNTPC: Re: User authentication on nntpcache

> I'm re-implementing this feature for the next minor release. I removed
> it from 2.3.*, because the code was not well tested and there was very

Just vote of approval for seeing this feature re-emerge.  This is
something that would be very usefull for us.

> *who* is being authenticated? the user? the server running nntpcache?

The user by nntpcache, preferably via a configurable option/module so you
can do radius/'/etc/passwd'/nis/.htpasswd or whatever you prefer.

For us the main thing would be that we could give access to customers when
they are not dialled into us and are assigned a dynamic ip so we can't
easily do an ip filter to allow access.

The next most useful thing would to be able to restrict binary access to
certain users.  So families/schools can't access porn/warez from us.

> My view is that server side authentication is such a mire of issues,
> that one should avoid it entirely, and let nntpcache handle all
> authentication requests without referral, but this in itself leads to

I agree.  This is IMHO unnecessary anyway.

Adam.

 4050 Lake Otis		    Adam Shand        (v) +1 907 562 4638
 Anchorage, Alaska    Systems Administrator   (f) +1 907 562 1677
----------------- http://larry.earthlight.co.nz ------------------