Re: NNTPC: User authentication on nntpcache

This is a reply to an old message and only peripherally related to
nntpcache, but....

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, jbessels wrote:

> Please reinstall the User-authent., it may be very difficult but can be also
> extremely usefull. I'm the firewall admin. of a certain Bank and we use DHCP.
> This means normally all users get a different Ip address everytime they switch
> on the machine.

Extend the lease period. I've just been through DHCP configuration
using both the NT and ISC DHCP servers and a given machine can be
given pretty well any lease period you choose.

The defaults are a few hours, but tests have shown that even if the
original machine is switched off, another machine won't be
allocated the leased IP until the lease expires _and_ when it's
switched back on, it will be reassigned the same IP number it was
leased originally.

I've since set leases at 3 months for several school-based servers
I administer so that we could quickly identify which machine in a
lab has which IP without having to set up specific MAC->IP
assignment tables. All that's needed in that kind of situation is
to switch on the machines in order to get sequential IP
assignments.

AB