Re: NNTPC: User authentication on nntpcache

> richardb@drives.rta.nsw.gov.au (Richard Begg) writes:
>
> > Julian,
> >
> > We are interested in whether nntpcache will support user authentication
> > (username/password) for client access.  There seems to be some support for
> > this in the access file, but nothing in the code.  Is this planned in the
> > near future?
>
> I'm re-implementing this feature for the next minor release. I removed
> it from 2.3.*, because the code was not well tested and there was very
> little call for it and a mountain of conceptual issues to deal with. A
> few people have now petitioned (;) to have user authentication back
> in,

Please reinstall the User-authent., it may be very difficult but can be also
extremely usefull. I'm the firewall admin. of a certain Bank and we use DHCP.
This means normally all users get a different Ip address everytime they switch
on the machine. So far so good, but we are using Firewall-1 which has no
nntp-proxy built into it. Hence the only way to allow/block people for news is
based upon a Ip-address. This means I've to reintroduce permanent IP-addresses,
major drag...  In my case, the most usefull function missing from nntp-cache is
user-auhtentication.

Does anyone know of a NNTP-proxy for nntp apart from news-cache, nntpcache and
newscache from evil purple. I don't need caching badly but I need
user-authentication.

Cheers,

Jan Bessels
========