Re: NNTPC: Re: User authentication on nntpcache

In message <3.0.5.32.19980211095713.00951970@hpwp1.technodat.co.at>,
Christian Krackowizer <kra1@technodat.co.at> writes:

| At 16:16 10.02.98 +0000, you wrote:

| >| Create a sort of plug-in piece of c-code in which users can implement thei
| >| own authentication calls. fi. we will be using radius only, and we have th
| >| code for inn's nnrpd ready by hand. Of course when we are ready we will
| >| publicize this code (first for squid).
| >
| >Ideally I'd like to restrict access to *binaries* groups to users listed
| >in a file (simply a user per line would do).  Our client machines
| >from which reading is allowed all run identd, so that's how I'd get
| >the username.
| >No need for passwords, etc, just authorised users.
| >

| I would prefer 'htpasswd' as used with 'apache' server and 'squid' caches.
| We're running a lot of NT-workstation where sometimes user change place
| without loging out and loging in with their own username. So identd will
| report the name of the old user authenticating the new user ...
| There's always big discussion (like children) 'it's not me'

The more I read about it, the more I like the pluggable modules.

We use Apache, .htaccess and the MySQL auth module so I can authenticate
web users via a database.  If I could do something similar with the
ident string I'd be a very happy camper. (Aside: It would also simplify
the binaries request mechanism we have.

Note: To Proff: Doing it in reverse isn't viable since, as a free unix
shell service, we get hundreds of new accounts created every day.

Paul.
--
 The Internet Business Ltd, Holywood House, Innis Court, Holywood, BT18 9HF
 pgregg@tibus.net                                     http://www.tibus.net/