Re: NNTPC: Re: User authentication on nntpcache

Julian Assange wrote:
> little call for it and a mountain of conceptual issues to deal with. A
> few people have now petitioned (;) to have user authentication back
> in,

As do we.

> *who* is being authenticated? the user? the server running nntpcache?

user.

> My view is that server side authentication is such a mire of issues,
> that one should avoid it entirely, and let nntpcache handle all

Agreed.

> authentication requests without referral, but this in itself leads to
> administration problems. i.e how does nntpcache get access to the
> authentication data? /etc/passwd? nis? kerberos? tacacs? radius? What

Create a sort of plug-in piece of c-code in which users can implement their
own authentication calls. fi. we will be using radius only, and we have the
code for inn's nnrpd ready by hand. Of course when we are ready we will
publicize this code (first for squid).

> if the nntpcache administrator doesn't have control over the news
> server? How are these sub-systems configured and how to they
> co-operate?

Keep it simple: let nntpcache authenticate a *user*, what perhaps would be
interesting is to have multiple authorization levels per user :-)

> Comments welcome :)

Well ok :-)

Hans
--