Re: Debugging i2c : i2cdetect cant detect a device on i2c line

On Thu, 7 Sept 2023, 18:08 Raul Piper, <raulpblooper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 9:47 PM Lucas Tanure <tanure@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sept 2023, 14:56 Russell King (Oracle), <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 07, 2023 at 08:36:32PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>> > [also Cc: devicetree and ARM folks]

>> Honestly, from this description, I'm wondering if this posting is a joke.
>>
>> I2C is entirely _reliant_ on pull-ups. It's a wire-or bus, and the
>> logic 1 state is created by no device pulling the signal low, thereby
>> allowing the pull-up resistor to pull the line to the logic 1 state.
>>
>> The pull-up must be the correct strength for the devices on the bus.
>> If it is too strong, then a driver may not be able to pull the signal
>> sufficiently low for other devices to register it as a logic 0.
>>
>> Conversely, the pull-up must be strong enough so that the rise-time
>> of the signal is sufficient to register as a logic 1.
>>
>> If it's a problem with the rise time, then increasing the clock rate
>> will just make the situation worse.

Where can I change this time? Can you please provide example of some
device/device tree?

>> So, if other devices work on the bus, it could be that the Vil
>> threshold of this device is not being achieved, whereas the other
>> devices are happy. Therefore, I would suggest you study the data
>> sheets of the device that isn't being detected.
What Vil threshold? I checked the power supply to this device and it
is ~3.3 V as expected.

>> Lastly, if the undetectable device has a reset line, it's possible
>> that the device isn't responding because it's being held in reset.
The device is fine, I am sure about it. As the device provides data on
USART as well and I am getting it.

> Please try to use an logic analyser like saleae logic.
> Probe the i2c bus, reset line, power lines, pins that set the i2c address for the device.
> Can tell us which device it is?

Its a GPS sensor(still under development) .Logic Analyser gives NACK
on the given address.
I may be using the wrong pull ups value which i am checking.But from
software point of view is there a Device tree setting to enable the
internal pull ups or adjust the rise/fall time as said above.
Read a little about the i2c protocol and check the signal levels of the i2c lines.
In my experience you can understand the problem by just looking at the signal levels if understand a little bit of i2c protocol.
Use the digital and analogue parts of you logic analyser.