Re: Persistent tap device

Hi Mulyadi and John,

On 4 October 2010 23:03, John Mahoney <jmahoney@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Most of the times, network related devices aren't represented as file
>> inside /dev. This is...well, you might think,against common sense that
>> "everything is file" under Linux.

@Mulyadi:

Yes, that's right.  I saw the source code of uml_utils, and it has
code to create a tun/tap device and obtain a file descriptor to it,
but not open an existing tun/tap device that has been created using
tunctl.  The example was also there in
Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt.

> tun/tap are the exception to the exception to the rule.  In other works
> network drives normally do not appear in /dev/ or as a file, but tun/tap do
> at least in my using them over the past 4 years. OpenVpn is a high profile
> known user of tun/tap, you may want to check there as a start.  Are you sure
> you have the tun/tap driver loaded.

@John:  I expected that, but currently, the only way for a program to
create a tun/tap device is to use an ioctl call which returns a file
descriptor that can be used to read/write on the device.  I was
wondering how to open an already existing tap device..

Thanks all.

--
Vimal