Initramfs generated in Fedora 13 but not in Ubuntu 10.04

Hi all,
I just compiled and installed kernel 2.6.35.4 into Fedora 13_x86 and
noticed that an initramfs file was generated/installed in the boot
folder. Last week, when I unsuccessfully tried to compile and install
the same kernel in Ubuntu 10.04, no initramfs or initrd was generated.
In both cases I had selected "Initial RAM filesystem and RAM disk
(initramfs/initrd) support" while running make menuconfig.
So I am wondering why I ended up with an initramfs with Fedora and not
Ubuntu? I'm pretty new at this so am at a loss as to what could cause
the different outcome. Could the difference be that the default
install of Fedora comes with an initramfs, while Ubuntu doesn't (and
therefore in the kernel build process there is a "template" to work
from)?
Cheers, Brett.