Re: Persistent tap device

Hi ...

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:19, Vimal <j.vimal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created a persistent tap device (tap0) using tunctl.  The examples
> from tunctl source code claim that a /dev/tap0 character device will
> be created that we can read from/write to.  However, I am not able to
> find any tap0 device in /dev directory.  How exactly do I open the
> tap0 device?

Most of the times, network related devices aren't represented as file
inside /dev. This is...well, you might think,against common sense that
"everything is file" under Linux.

To get a practical example of it, try to unpack User Mode Linux
utilities (http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/uml_utilities_20070815.tar.bz2)
and check the related codes there. As for a short intro, it's a
collection of utility to help setting up User Mode Linux guest machine
and several of them tackles setting up virtual network (using
tun/tap...)

Good luck...

--
regards,