Re: using gdb to debug a 64-bit kernel

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 02:13, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  in fact, that's exactly the right value based on this snippet from
> > init/main.c:
> >
> >  unsigned long loops_per_jiffy = (1<<12);
> >
> > which is, of course, 4096.
>
> Thanks for sharing....so it's fixed in 64 bit environment...I
> assumen it's x64...not IA 64. So pls CMIIW about my assumption

  you are correct, and yesterday was the first time i'd noticed that.
when i first gdb dumped that variable and saw 4096, i immediately
assumed i'd done something wrong because that value couldn't possibly
be right.  i stand corrected, so gdb appears to be working
*reasonably* correctly.

> >  but i still don't know why i can't print the changing value of
> > jiffies if i clear the cache with:
> >
> >  (gdb) core-file /proc/kcore
>
> But, is it changing if you quit gdb and run it again? Just a stupid
> confirmation..

  yup, tried that, no change.  and i tried it again several hours
later just now -- no difference.  so i'm thinking it's a
64-bit-related issue.  beyond that, i'm baffled.

rday

p.s.  the way i try to figure out what the symbol name is is to grep
through /proc/kallsyms, as in

  $ grep jiffies /proc/kallsyms

so if anyone else has a 64-bit system, and wants to try that, feel
free to suggest a symbol name to dump that might make sense.  for now,
in gdb, i'm running:

  (gdb) p __jiffies

                        http://crashcourse.ca