SATA driver implementation

Hi,
I am writing SATA driver for on chip SATA controller, here i have few questions:

1. AFAIK, SATA device falls under PCI class device in kernel, so its
make use of some of the PCI API utilities to read the PCI header
   ( where one can get the information about the SATA controller base
address ). But in kernel code, one of the driver
   ( /driver/ata/sata_fsl.c ) i have not seen any PCI API's used in
the driver code but other drivers are extensively (driver/ata/sata*)
   using the PCI API's to get the controller information. Why is it so?

2. Can anybody give me the call flow how the user-space request
reaches the actual SATA driver?. l am looking for a rough sequence
    call flow from system call ( read/write ) to the actual drivers
API's getting called.

Also can anyone point me to some good resource links on SATA & its
example drivers.

Thanks for your help!!!