Re: How to port linux drivers ftom devfs to udev.

> > > You shouldn't need to do anything other than the "normal" 2.4 to  2.6 porting.

> > I don't know what this "normal" implies.  Hence my question.
> I don't know what problems you are having, hence my  question :)

Yet is clearly stated in the subject line.

> Ok, feel  free to ask questions.

Here it is: Besides the pointer Arun already sent me do you know of another
guide "How to port linux drivers from 2.4 to 2.6." ?

OR an up to date doc about writing linux 2.6 drivers (see below).

> But your drivers can get merged, there's no reason  to keep them out of
> the tree anymore, we'll take anything :)

Knowing that:

1. If we migrate to 2.6.xx we are going to stay with this 2.6.xx for the next
10 years as we stuck to 2.4.18 for the last 10. This is one shot action. We
just cannot afford to keep up to date with linux kernel.
2. The drivers have no practical interest for anyone as they are targeted to
embedded H/W.
3. The merge process is not free for us - we'll have to invest an undetermined
amount of man-hours.

Give me one good reason we would be interested having our stuff in the tree.

> > For cases like ours would be very, very useful if you, guys would update
> > and print LDD V4.

> The  wheels on this are slowly moving, but it will be a long time.

Could you, please give a rough estimate ? And I reiterate the affirmation
I made above.

> we can see how hard it would be to get it up and
> working on the latest 2.6 kernel?

I need to see & feel it by myself as I'm the one held accountable. As this
topic grew old for now I had time to read Arun's doc, some other docs in
Documentation/driver-model and some source code in the tree and make
a guess. This said I'm still interested in all information I can gather on the
subject.

> If it's just a char device, it shouldnt' be very hard.

That's reassuring.

Thanks,
Stephan.