Re: How to port linux drivers ftom devfs to udev.

>What type of "devfs  driver"?
character

> You shouldn't need to do anything other than the "normal" 2.4 to  2.6 porting.
I don't know what this "normal" implies. Hence my question.

> Do you have a pointer to the driver you need to have ported?
No. If there is interest I can make them public.

> People will do this work for you, have you seen the linuxdriverproject.org site?
No I haven't seen this site. This would be very nice :-) , but I don't think is
doable.

Short story: We are using linux 2.4.18 on SH4 architecture. Very specific H/W
and very different from PC. Linux is used as configuration manager and user
interface (web). All linux drivers are simple char drivers - mainly to get access
to FPGA and DSP. Most of them provide a "mmap" interface to user applications.
The original port was done by Montavista. They should have made it public
years ago.

We are looking what would cost to migrate to 2.6. Boss asked for an effort
estimation and I had to start from some point. The pointer I got from Arun
cleared the way for me to get some numbers. Most of the migration cost is
not in driver port but in how we are going to handle a mixed installed
base.

Related the the "Linux Driver Project". This is a very nice and generous idea !
Not for us - unfortunately. Our work is driven by a schedule. Very tight! We do
not have spare H/W and we are not so rich to pay a person to do interface work.
It is cheaper to do the work by ourselves and we need to learn to be able to
maintain/modify/enhance.

For cases like ours would be very, very useful if you, guys would update and
print LDD V4. I can guarantee we will buy at least five copies.

Thanks,
Stephan