Re: retaining messages from previous boot - /var/log/messages OR /var/log/boot.log

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 18:50, Onkar Mahajan <kern.devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The Situation is this :
>>
>> I have compiled Xen Hypervisor , and it just hangs at some point
>> during the boot. I want to send to a relevant Xen mailing list the sequence
>> of events before the hang.
>>
>> When the System hangs , I just restart the system uncleanly ( press the
>> power button for 30 sec)
>> and reboot the machine with the working kernel. Now, I want to see in
>> /var/log/messages the
>> sequence of events that occured  before the hang in the previous boot. I am
>> not able to
>> see those log messages , they are overwritten during every boot.

Check the xend and xend-debug logs. Also have a look at
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole.

At worst times I found myself scribbling the contents with pen or pencil,
or lately using the camera when capturing crash was difficult. Just throwing
my thoughts on table...

Thanks
write down the last few lines