Re: retaining messages from previous boot - /var/log/messages OR /var/log/boot.log

But some linux distributions do keep the previous boot logs , this will help me to know
where the kernel Paniced ??

Regards,
Onkar

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM, arshad hussain <arshad.super@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Onkar Mahajan <kern.devel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to retain the messages from all the previous boots in the
> /var/log/messages
> How do I append the messages in /var/log/messages rather than create a new
> file
> each time during the boot ?
>
> Regards,
> Onkar

One way to do it would be. Copy /var/log/message to any file at every
shutdown. And use logger command to insert contents of this new file
at every startup. This would boil down to ...

/* Inside Your shutdown script ( rc6.d ) */
$ cat /var/log/message > /tmp/my_logfile

/* Inside Your startup script */
$ logger -f /tmp/my_logfile

Be advised, /var/log/message will not grow indefinitely, after reaching some
size it will start "chopping" out the top. Have a look at man pages of logger
and syslog.

Thanks