Re: Completely Debug Kernel

Hi!

On 11:36 Wed 12 May     , Venkatram Tummala wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> This question has been asked before but no complete solution was given.
>

> Is there any way to build a completely debug kernel as opposed to a release
> kernel.? Is yes, how can i do that.?
>
> Basically i need to disable all (or as many as possible) compile time
> optimizations. I tried disabling the O3 flag & i was able to successfully
> able to get the vmlinux file (after disabling many compile time options &
> drivers which were failing without the O3 flag). But when I tried to boot
> this kernel, the kernel hung during startup.

Linux kernel is compiled with -O3? Where do you see this? Usually the kernel
is compiled with -O2 and tons of flags to disable some optimisations. There is
alsa a make config option to compile with -Os.

> I think there are some files in the kernel source which MUST be compiled
> with the O3 flag. Does anybody have a list of such files. If yes, we can
> write a wrapper around the kernel makefile to build these files with the O3
> flag, others without the O3 flag and then "stitch" these up to get vmlinux.

I do not want to negate this possibility, but this sounds very weird and
unstable when using different gcc versions. Besides grep -r "\-O3" ./ does not
find anything. Besides, there are even reports [1] that -O3 might be broken in
some cases

> the problem is gdb goes haywire with these compile time optimizations & it
> is a pain in the neck to debug these kernels.

What does gdb do? Note that if you start user mode linux in gdb, you will see
segfaults in "page_ok". These are harmless, just type "cont", until startup is
completed.

	-Michi

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap5
    see 5.d/"CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS"
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com