Re: Completely Debug Kernel

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi...

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 01:36, Venkatram Tummala <venkatram867@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Basically i need to disable all (or as many as possible) compile time
> optimizations. I tried disabling the O3 flag & i was able to successfully
> able to get the vmlinux file (after disabling many compile time options &
> drivers which were failing without the O3 flag). But when I tried to boot
> this kernel, the kernel hung during startup.

Hm, really? Gdb goes a bit strange, I can understand, but kernel hung
during start up? that's really weird.  Are you sure you are
recompiling both the core kernel image AND the modules (and possibly
rebuilding the initrd/initramfs) with no optimizations?

Yes, I built the kernel image, modules & the initrd image. Yes, the completely debug kernel fails to boot completely. So, i just include the O3 flag in the Kernel top level makefile and re-build the kernel image, modules & the initrd image and the kernel boots without any problem. So, its not because of the my kernel build procedure or the kernel .config file. The only difference in the two kernels is that one is compiled with O3 and other without O3. Yet, one fails to boot even though building & linking went through successfully.

PS: I don't use KDB. I use user space GDB to debug the kernel running on vmware workstation over a TCP connection.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant