Re: device driver debugging : help required

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 00:43, yogeshwar sonawane <yogyas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi list,
>
> I am doing some trial related to device driver programming.
> During one such trial, my test node is getting rebooted.
> I am using netconsole to observe messages. Now, generally we get some
> oops messages
> related to either NULL pointer reference OR CPU stuck or any other reason.
> But, i am not getting any messages, but my test-node is getting reboot.

What driver is it? Can you share the code?

I suggest to run/insert/activate your driver inside a virtual machine
such as Qemu or User Mode Linux if possible. Then, hook gdb into the
virtual machine then put breakpoints (or maybe run the code step by
step) in strategic places. If it reboots again, then you can predict
which line of codes that does that.

Or, you might use kgdb. In this case, you need 2nd machine and hook
into your test node using gdb. Make sure you have activated the gdb
stub in the test node. Then the rest is same like the above steps.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant